Welcome Jim Johnson To 104.3 WOMC!

jim1 Welcome Jim Johnson To 104.3 WOMC!

Iconic radio host Jim Johnson returns to the Detroit airwaves as midday host for 104.3 WOMC Classic Hits on Monday, February 28, 2011,  (weekdays, 10:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m.)

“I am so fortunate to be joining CBS Radio ‘s WOMC, one of the premier broadcasting companies and stations in the country,” said Johnson, who has been a Detroit radio fixture for over three decades.  “I am eager to get back on air. Radio is in my blood.”

Johnson replaces current host John Thomas, who is leaving to pursue a broadcast position out of state.

Tim Roberts, WOMC operations manager and program director, said, “We’re absolutely thrilled to have a veteran Detroit talent like Jim Johnson on our on-air staff.  JJ understands the music history of Detroit, which fits in perfectly with WOMC’s classic hits format.  Stay tuned because we have exciting plans for JJ and WOMC listeners.”

Johnson, a lifelong Detroiter and father of four, attended Central Michigan University to play football and learn broadcasting.  He has held prestigious on-air positions at four major stations (WWWW, WRIF, WLLZ, WCSX) in the Detroit market during his lengthy radio tenure.

“Jim Johnson is a great addition to the WOMC air staff and we are very excited to have him join our team,” said Debbie Kenyon, Sr. VP/Market Manager of CBS RADIO Detroit.  “Jim has such history in the market and a wonderful ability to relate to Detroit listeners.”

Related content:

See JT’s goodbye message

Comments

1. jerry mcginnis says:

Welcome back jj,I’m a long time listener of your show,and its good to hear your voice again,it’s odd to hear you doing the midday shift, after hearing you in the morning for thelast thirty years. I guess you earned the right to sleep in though

2. Joahna says:

What a great picture of Jimmy! WOW! 😉

1. Connie Delisle says:

Your his girlfriend aren’t youOr just friends as he said?

3. L. L Lake says:

Welcome back JJ!!! Been listening to you since your news brodcasts on ABX! I’ll be listening for you.

4. peggy says:

It’s about time we get Jim Johnson back on Detroit radio. Welcome back and can’t wait to tune in !!

5. emcsal1 says:

ALL RIGHT, Been a fan I guess going back to Piston’s Bad Boy Day’s.

6. Leonard says:

Hey JJ, Glad You’re Back. Remember You from your old shows of JJ and the Morning Crew, with popeye, dick the bruiser, george swell. Those were the day. Great to hear you again

7. John Kuriila says:

Great move WOMC….Welcome back JJ

8. RMurray says:

Hey JJ, How’s it going to feel going head-to-head with your old buddy Karen Savelly ? I’m glad to hear that you’re going to be back on the radio. It just wasn’t like coming home, and not hearing you on the radio.

9. Jay M. Frederick says:

Jim it’s good to know that you’ll be back on the radio. I been a fan since you were at W4. Good LUCK.

10. Donna says:

This is great. I am so happy to welcome JJ back to the radio. I love the voice and it feels like an old friend that has been gone , has come back home. It is about time. I am retired now so I can sleep in also.

11. paul harris says:

All I can say is yahoo!!!!! My radio button has a new home. Its great to have you back JJ.

12. John Zannetti says:

Welcome back JJ !!, can’t wait to hear you back on radio.

13. Bob Sena says:

Dick The Bruiser says, “You better listen to my bud, JJ!”

14. Rodney Burgess says:

Yes, JJ is back on the air. Been a long time can’t wait to hear you again. I truely stopped listening to the station you was on when you left and last when I found 104.3 so in the end….it all worked out

15. Larry says:

Glad to have JJ back on the radio! I have listened to him for the past 30 plus years and have missed him. Hopefully Lynn will be joining him at WOMC?

16. cindi says:

I am so glad to hear JJ’s BACK IN TOWN!

17. Dale Z says:

Been listening to you for years, heard you might get WOMC gig,
    glad you did. You speak for our generation (sometimes to close but keep talking). I’ll be listening.

18. melinda frazier says:

Awesome! You’ve been missed. Remember when you and George played 96 Tears/Beers on Kelly & Co.?

19. john skiver says:

Glad to hear you are on my new favorite station.Ive been a fan since the seventies.Good luck

20. Bruce Turner says:

Welcome back Jim! I along with many others, have missed you on the air, and we wish you well as you start back in Detroit. I hope that you become a long time fixture there, just like Dick P was.

21. Jeff says:

Welcome back JJ, I’ve been listening to (and George) since the late 70’s at W4. You’re a classic, Jim with a great sense of
    humor and style. Looking forward to your show…….

22. Chris says:

What a great move by WOMC. I have been a fan of alot of Detroits radio stations over the years and WOMC and WCSX are always one of my stops during the 6am to 4pm spot due to me being mainly on the road and I love the music both staions play. I was so mad when WCSX dropped JJ and his partner Lynn. He has definatly been missed by me and several people that I know that used to be regular listeners of JJ. A big thumbs up goes out to WOMC for putting JJ back on the air. Welcome back to the airways Jim, I’m look forward to your broadcasts.

23. Ron says:

I’ve been a JJ fan since W4 and been jumping morning radio stations since your departure. I’ll be listening to ya at lunch time and maybe settle on one station. Welcome back, you’ve been missed.

24. Steve V says:

I can’t tell you how happy I was to find out that JJ was returning to radio! JJ you have been missed! Welcome back!

25. Annette says:

JJ, I am so very happy to have you back on my radio to listen to while I am working – and you’re working my shift as well!!!
    Welcome Back – Keep up the great work in DETROIT. WE LOVE YOU

26. JET says:

Wish I could listen online but the live feed’s not working. =-( Have a great show JJ!

1. 104.3 WOMC says:

Did you get my last email about downloading Flash? Sorry it’s not working for you. I keep testing it and can’t recreate your issue.

27. GINA WRONA says:

YEAH, YAHOO, GUESS WHAT WORK RADIO STATION i’M CHANGING TO? WELCOME BACK JJ!

28. Sally A says:

Great to hear Jim back on the airwaves. Now if we could just tweak the playlist so that I don’t have to listen to Lou Rawls a few times a day, perhaps tilt toward Mitch Ryder, Kinks, any sound that really rocks the town.

29. Colleen says:

Welcome back JJ. It was great to hear you on the radio today. WOMC, bring back Lynne as well! They made a great team.

30. Marsha says:

So cool you are BACK!!! I am back to listening to the radio!
    I have followed you from WWWW!

31. bob says:

Good to here you again JJ, at least you landed on you feet. I haven’t listened to the other station since you guys were dismissed. Raw deal, and for what?

32. tom says:

I listen to WOMC at work & couldn’t believe it when I heard Jim Johnson’s voice this morning. Thank you WOMC for hiring a real DJ. He doesn’t just push buttons, he actually knows a thing or two about the music he’s playing.. GREAT HIRE

33. Diann says:

FIANLLY JJ is back at the mike. After Purtain’s People left, I stopped listening to 104.3. The station became “blech”. Once I found out JJ was back I listened and absolutley love his show. I’ve always been a fan and think it’s great to hear him and his choice of music again.

34. ShoresLady says:

This changes my radio listening habits a lot — I’ll listen to the station at home over my computer as well as in the car for the pleasure of that familiar voice, that good man. Welcome back, Jim!

35. Dianne says:

I am so glad you are back!!
    I have missed you and I look forward to you going to that early am hour

36. Tim says:

Damn good to hear your voice back on the air, JJ. I also am a life long Detroit er raised on Dexter Blvd (St. Theresa’s Parrish). When deer season opens be sure to play that bit you used to do about the guy that picks up what he thinks is a dead deer on the side of the road, and it comes back to life in his back seat. He stops at a phone booth and calls 911. Freaking hilarious! And what happen to “spelling w/Darnel”?

Anyway, welcome back,

Tim

37. DAVE HILLESTAD says:

HEY JJ, WISH I COULD HEAR YOUR MUSIC DOWN HERE IN FLORIDA. COULD I GET IT ON MY CCONPUTER? DAVE

1. 104.3 WOMC says:

Go to WOMC.com and click on the listen live button in the upper right corner!

38. bw says:

Welcome back JJ. It was a nice surprise to hear your friendly voice again! Good Luck and I hope it all works out for ya…..

39. Bridget says:

JJ I couldn’t be happier that you are back on the air. The minute I heard, I changed from WCSX, (big mistake in you letting go – what were they thinking) to WOMC. I’ve been a fan for so long – at least 25 years now. You’re totally rocking the air waves – better than ever! Welcome back!

40. Sharon says:

Motown Royalty?! Damn straight! & add your name to that list! Welcome back ~ good to hear your voice!

41. Karin Sampson says:

I DO want to congratulate our Secret Service people regarding the capture and killing of Osama Bin Laden.

However, I’m a little worried about all the “hoopla”. Don’t get me wrong – it a definite cause to celebrate, BUT I’m afraid that we anger these terrorists even more by doing so. I realize that THEY cheered and celebrated when the Twin Towers came down, but I’m just afraid by “rubbng it in” the way it’s happening right now, it may lead to more killings of our service men and also increased terrorism here in the US. I hope I’m WRONG !

Also, sure he is gone, BUT I’m almost sure that he already had a replacement since he most likely knew that sooner or later the US would catch up with him. There are always more to follow in his footsteps – unfortunately !

Regards – Karin Sampson

42. Cheryl says:

So glad you are back! I haven’t listened to CSX since you left – I switched to WOMC and HERE YOU ARE! Awesome – I look forward to hearing your voive everyday at the office.

43. JimBo says:

JJ, I am so glad to hear your voice on the radio in Detroit again. You were missed by so many listeners. I was so disipointed with WCSX and Detroit radio in general that I switched to sat. radio. But, now hearing you on the radio again, its awesome. I have followed you all over the dial WWWW, WRIF, WLLZ, and WCSX. What were they thinking? There are three radio icons of Detroit radio, Joseph Priestley “J.P.” McCarthy II, Dick Purtan, and Jim Johnston.

44. JimBo says:

Where did that “t” come from?

45. bill mailloux says:

Hey Jim,
    Heard you on the radio today again complaining about Canadians having Thanksgiving earlier than the Americans just so Canadians get the best turkey’s! I thought we straightened this out years ago . When JJ and Dick the Bruser hosted a tail gate party back in 1982. Football was on strike. My partner and I who are turkey farmers in Amherstburg Ontario delivered to you a Canadian hatched and raised turkey at that tail gate party. So you could have the best turkey ever .
    Look it up in your records, I have pictures.

Bill Mailloux

46. Dennis Marr says:

Jim, it was really good to here your vioce again, brought back lot of good memories.