[lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Joan Jett[/lastfm] turns 53 on September 22, 2011! Happy Birthday!
Let’s celebrate with 53 fun facts about “The Godmother of Punk.”
1. [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Joan Jett[/lastfm] was born September 22, 1958.
2. That makes Joan Jett a Virgo. She shares this sign with [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Freddie Mercury[/lastfm] and [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Michael Jackson[/lastfm].
3. Joan Jett was born in Pennsylvania.
4. Her birth name was Joan Marie Larkin.
5. Legend has it Joan Larkin changed her name to Joan Jett when her parents divorced.
6. Joan Jett moved to California as a teenager.
7. Jett was inspired greatly by [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Suzi Quatro[/lastfm]!
8. Joan even rocked Suzi Quatro’s shag haircut but don’t call it a mullet!
9. Joan Jett has been called the “Queen of Rock & Roll,” “Godmother of Punk” and the “Original Riot Grrrl.”
10. Joan Jett received her first guitar at age 13 as a Christmas gift from her parents.
11. Jett is a founding member of [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]The Runaways[/lastfm] along with drummer Sandy West.
West passed away from cancer in 2006. Joan said in a statement “We shared the dream of girls playing rock and roll. Sandy was an exuberant and powerful drummer,” adding, “I am overcome from the loss of my friend. I always told her we changed the world.”
12. “Wild Thing” was originally recorded by [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]The Wild Ones[/lastfm], and later it became a big hit for [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]The Troggs[/lastfm].
13. Joan Jett thought punk was a “media” term. She just thought of herself as a rock n’ roller.
14. The Runaways first album was self-titled and came out in 1976.
15. [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Cheap Trick[/lastfm], [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Van Halen[/lastfm] and [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers[/lastfm] all opened for The Runaways.
16. Kristen Stewart played the role of Joan Jett in the 2010 biopic The Runaways.
17. Dakota Fanning played the role of Cherie Currie.
18. Joan Jett called Kristen Stewart “authentic” and “dedicated.”
19. The Runaways broke up in April of 1979.
20. Cherie Curie did a series of interviews post Runaways talking about the sex and drugs she was exposed to on the road at a young age.
21. Lita Ford stated the only thing the Runaways cared about was “Singing, drinking and running around.”
22. Years after the Runaways broke up footage of the band members was made into a movie called Du-Beat-e-o. It received horrible reviews.
23. Joan Jett produced [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]The Germs[/lastfm] only album, GI.
24. [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]The Arrows[/lastfm] originally recorded “I Love Rock N Roll.”
25. Joan Jett covered the song later as a solo artist and with [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Joan Jett & The Blackhearts[/lastfm].
26. “I Love Rock And Roll” went to #1 on the Billboard charts in 1982.
27. [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Weird Al[/lastfm] paid Joan Jett a compliment with “I Love Rocky Road.”Vodpod videos no longer available.
28. Joan Jett’s first solo album was rejected by 23 labels in the US before it was self published on Blackheart Records.
29. When Joan Jett wanted to start up a new band she placed an ad in the L.A. Weekly “looking for three good men!” That’s when [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Joan Jett and The Blackhearts[/lastfm] began!
30. “Bad Reputation” was used as the theme song for Freaks and Geeks! (Which I personally think was one of the greatest/shortest lived television shows of all time.)
31. “Bad Reputation” was also featured in an American Choppers music video.
32. “Crimson & Clover” was originally performed by [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Tommy James and the Shondells[/lastfm].
33. Jett covered “Love is All Around,” the theme song of The Mary Tyler Moore Show.
34. Joan Jett was in the 1987 film, Light Of Day, with Michael J. Fox. They rocked the same haircut.
35. Joan Jett Performed for the troops in Bosnia and Kosovo. She talked to Rosanne Barr about her experience on The Rossanne Barr Show.
36. Joan Jett also performed for the troops in Iraq.
37. Joan Jett was a producer for [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Bikini Kill[/lastfm].
38. Ellen Degeneres sang karaoke with Joan Jett on The Ellen Degeneres Show.
39. Joan Jett appeared in an episode of Walker, Texas Ranger.
40. Jett also appeared in an episode of Highlander. (It’s amazingly cheesy.)
41. The credits of Tank Girl feature Joan Jett and Paul Westerberg performing “Let’s Do It.”
42. Joan Jett has held season tickets to New York Liberty games since 1997.
43. In 2000, Joan Jett appeared as Columbia in a broadway version of The Rocky Horror Picture Show.
44. Joan Jett is not afraid to shave her head.
45. Joan Jett is a vegetarian.
46. Joan Jett doesn’t care for Butterball turkeys.
47. Joan Jett bought a guitar from Eric Carmen of [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]The Rasberries[/lastfm].
48. In 2003, Joan Jett was named in the Rolling Stone greatest 100 guitarists of all time at number 87. The only other woman on the list was [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Joni Mitchell[/lastfm] at number 72.
49. Joan Jett has her own Gibson guitar, the “Melody Maker.”
50. Joan Jett has been known to belt out the “National Anthem” upon request.
51. She’ll also sing “Happy Birthday.”
52. Joan Jett appeared on the Oprah Winfrey Show and sang a medley of songs with [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Miley Cyrus[/lastfm].
53. Joan Jett only gets hotter with age! Click on the gallery below if you want proof!
[photogallerylink id=85931 align=left]
Happy 53rd Birthday Joan Jett!
(Sources: Wikipedia and relevant YouTube videos)