A new study by a company called Healthy Stuff is out to destroy the classic summer tradition of drinking water out of the garden hose. They tested 90 different garden hoses and found that all of them contained levels of lead and phthalates that were higher than the safe levels set by the Consumer Product Safety Commission. And 33% had higher lead levels than the safe levels set by the federal Safe Drinking Water standard. Ok, who didn’t drink out of the hose as a kid? And remember that first sip on a hot day when you weren’t patient enough and you got that disgusting drink of hot water? Yuck. By drinking out of a hose, you might end up ingesting chemicals that can cause liver problems or even cancer. You’d probably have to drink a lot of water out of a lot of hoses to have that happen, but it’s better to be safe and go back in the house for a drink.
And don’t forget to take your shoes off so you don’t track those phthalates on to mom’s clean carpet.