Jack is a 13 year old Jack Russell Terrier who lives with his owner, Tim Kelleher, in New York City. The other night Jack started having severe nausea and vomiting. Taking no chances, Tim rushed Jack to an emergency vet care center and it’s a good thing he did.
Turns out an x-ray of the pooch’s stomach revealed that he had eaten a bunch of penny coins. Actually he had polished off a lot of them. 111 to be exact.
The coins contain zinc and that could have proven fatal to Jack. But vets, using endoscopy, were able to collect five coins at a time until all 111 of them were removed from the dog and he is expected to make a complete recovery.
So the mystery remains where did Jack find all those pennies and why would he want to eat them in the first place? I’m also puzzled by the dog’s age. A puppy might do something that stupid but not a 13 year old senior citizen dog. You wouldn’t think so, right?
Has your dog ever gotten into anything he shouldn’t have? When I was just a kid my first dog Count, a boxer, jumped up on the kitchen counter and completely ate a raw roasting chicken in a matter of seconds. My mom was preparing some stuffing for the bird and was taking a powder room break just steps from the kitchen when Count snarfed the bird.