Thanksgiving Needs Your Help – Volunteer Opportunities In Metro Detroit
It’s so important to give back to your community and often times, Thanksgiving is a day that you have the day off work and have an opportunity to help! Here’s a little list to get you started on where to volunteer on Thanksgiving or anytime of the year!
- The Thanksgiving Day Parade always needs volunteers. It’s a magical time to be downtown and part of the parade. Get more information by going to The Parade Company website!
- Detroit Meals on Wheels provides meals to people who are not able to leave their home. This includes on Thanksgiving! Sign up to bring a meal and a smile to someone on Thanksgiving!
- Ring the Bell! The Salvation Army needs bell ringers on Thanksgiving too and all holiday season. Ringing the bell is fun and the Salvation Army is one of the best organizations!
- The Capuchin Soup Kitchen! During the holiday season the Capuchin Soup Kitchen prepares and donates food baskets and also runs a coat donation and distribution program. To volunteer with the Capuchin Soup Kitchen email at: email@example.com
- Last year alone, Gleaners distributed more than 41 million pounds of emergency food to more than 550 partnering soup kitchens. There are many ways to pitch in including working at a distribution center sorting and packing food, helping people feel welcome as a Gleaners Greeter, packing SmartBites bags for the Kids Helping Kids program, assisting professional chefs and nutritionists in the Cooking Matters nutritional education program and much more. Go to Gleaners website to help!
- Cheer someone up who is spending thanksgiving in the hospital! Read a story, rock or feed a baby, and bring some happiness into the room! You will need to get approval first so you must fill out an application and go through an interview first. The Children’s Hospital of Michigan is a great place to start! Get more info by going here http://www.childrensdmc.org/volunteers
- If you’d like to help out the furry and four footed kind, The Michigan Humane Society is a great place. You’ll need to fill out a volunteer application and go through a short training process so start now, here’s the link!
Getty Images/David Paul Morris