By: Annie Scaramuzzino
Over a month after the news broke that Prince had passed away, his cause of death has finally been revealed.
In a statement to the press today, a law-enforcement official revealed that it was an accidental opiod overdose that led to the iconic musician’s sudden demise, the Associated Press reports.
Following the initial reports of Prince’s passing, rumors swirled that he had been suffering from a Percocet addiction for several years. Later, it was revealed that the Prince’s team had sought help from the opioid addiction specialist Dr. Howard Kornfield just a day before his death.
As the singer left no known will, the future of his estate remains unknown. Meanwhile, investigators continue to look into whether a doctor had been prescribing him drugs.
Prince was found unresponsive at his Paisley Park complex the morning of April 21 and was later pronounced dead at the scene. He was just 57 years old.