Here’s some little known facts about our Founding Fathers to casually throw out at your 4th of July party. You’ll either look like the biggest history nerd or the most patriotic American.
- Even though he was a gifted writer, Benjamin Franklin was not allowed to help write the Declaration of Independence because they were afraid he would put jokes in.
- Thomas Jefferson introduced mac & cheese to the U.S. He even served it at a state dinner. Apparently Jefferson was a foodie; he also made ice cream, french fries, champagne, and parmesan cheese popular here.
- James Madison was 5’4″ tall and weighed about 100 lbs – about the size of a 13-year old boy.
- George Washington had a dog named Sweetlips.
- Only two people signed the Declaration of Independence on July 4th, 1776 – John Hancock and Charles Thomson. Pretty much everyone else signed it on August 2nd.
- Thomas Jefferson and John Adams visited William Shakespeare’s house in England together. They vandalized a chair by chipping off chucks to keep as souvenirs.
More fun facts about Presidents HERE.