By: Jon Corrigan
By now you’ve probably heard of the allegedly robbery of Ryan Lochte and three other U.S. Olympic swimmers in Rio on Sunday night.
Lochte claimed that he and teammates Gunnar Bentz, Jack Conger and Jimmy Feigen were robbed at gunpoint while returning from a club by armed men posing as police officers.
They told police the attackers took their wallets (containing the U.S. equivalent of $224) but surprisingly did not take their phones.
Brazilian authorities have questioned the authenticity of Lochte’s story from the start, and, after discovering several discrepancies in their individual accounts, have released questionable security footage.
Obtained by the Daily Mail, the footage shows Lochte and his teammates returning to the Olympic Athletes Village around 7 a.m. on Sunday morning, after the alleged robbery.
As they pass through metal detectors, Lochte can be seen playfully hitting Feigen with his Olympic badge.
A Brazilian judge, who ordered Lochte and Feigen not to leave the county, used this footage as reason behind her ruling. She said the athletes didn’t appear to have been through a traumatic incident.
Lochte is home in the U.S., while Feigen remains in Brazil. On Wednesday, Conger and Bentz were removed from U.S. bound flight and detained in Brazil. They cannot leave until they provide testimony to investigators.
Since then, Lochte has changed his story in an interview with Matt Lauer.